Davide Cappellino (see left), President of AGC Architectural Glass Europe & Americas Company, said:
“In 2022 – the United Nations International Year of Glass – AGC turned the spotlight on glass and our passion for this noble material.
“We also took a big step towards carbon neutrality during the year and are now delighted to close out 2022 with the launch of our Low-Carbon Glass range offering customers glass, which – from the extraction of raw materials to final installation – generates more than 40% less CO2 than our standard glass.”
To achieve this drastic CO2 reduction, every link in the value chain was closely examined.
This included limiting direct carbon emissions from the glass production processes as well as lowering all CO2 emissions from electricity production, the supply chain upstream of AGC’s processes, and other indirect emissions.
AGC’s holistic approach to sustainably producing its Low-Carbon Glass covers six key areas:
- Sustainably sourcing raw materials.
- Using highly efficient melting furnaces.
- Increasing the use of cullet.
- Using green energy sources.
- Optimising transport between group sites for finishing processes (lamination, coating).
- Optimising transport for finished products.
As a result of this in-depth process, AGC is now producing Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite, a low-carbon float glass whose carbon footprint has been slashed by 40% to just 7kg of CO2 per m² (4mm thick).
The first Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite was successfully produced at the AGC plant in Moustier, Belgium and is available and in stock now.
In 2023, the AGC plant in Seingbouse, France will also start producing Low-Carbon Glass.
Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite is available for AGC’s key ranges of functional glazing products, including:
- Safety glass: Low-Carbon Stratobel and Low-Carbon Stratophone.
- Thermal insulation glass: Low-Carbon iplus 1.0 and Low-Carbon iplus 1.1.
- Solar control glass: Low-Carbon Stopray and Low-Carbon Energy.
These new Low-Carbon Glass products deliver the same aesthetics, quality and technical performance as traditional AGC float glass products.